Hitting Your Stride
Brian (46) is a corporate attorney in the entertainment industry who travels a lot for work. His wife, Amanda (41), was an office assistant before she left the work world to raise their two children. On top of Brian’s very busy and successful career, they have two children (13 and 16) who will be ready to start college in a few years. They are a pretty modern family and enjoy raising their children outside of Rohnert Park.
As Brian gets closer to retirement (though it’s still at least 10+ years away), he wants to get more serious about saving. He wonders if he’s saving enough for retirement. He wants to make sure that he’s also optimizing his employee benefits. Amanda had a small 401K plan that she contributed to while she was still working.
The couple is looking for a financial advisor who will coach them and let them know where they are in terms of retirement – are they ahead or behind in planning? Brian has been putting away significant money into his company’s 401k plan over the last 15 years. While he knows he has a good amount saved, Brian isn’t sure if his portfolio is on track to allow him to retire when he wants to. They don’t have the time or inclination to manage their investments.
The couple wants to ensure that they have additional savings for their children’s college education as well as for Brian’s retirement. They want to find the right advisor that can give them an honest overview now of where they stand financially as well as develop a plan that will get them to their end goal of retirement in 10+ years.
- Brian hasn’t done much planning for their financial future other than invest in his 401K. Is he on the right track?
- Are they saving enough money for their kids’ college?
- Will they have enough money to retire when they want to?
- Are they investing too aggressively now, given their ages?
- Given the economy and market fluctuations, are they saving enough to have the type of retirement that they want?
- They don’t want to work with a pushy salesman. They want an advisor who will steer them in the right direction and help them prepare for the future.